04 November 2007

Silencio

And just like that...POOF! Silence. It's strange because I think it is the first time I have been alone since I came to Spain. My roommate is gone until tonight and my friends just left after a great weekend exploring Northern Spain. So now I'm listening to the Decemberists and enjoying a bit of breakfast while looking out over the beach and the couples (men/women; grandparents/grandkids; dogs/dog owners) enjoying the sand.

We visited a beautiful medieval city called Santillana del Mar where we enjoyed walking on cobblestone streets, a great meal in an outdoor terrace with a ridiculous waitress, and an afternoon walk through a park full of leaves falling as fall sets in. After Santillana we headed to Santander where I had frisbee practice and where we enjoyed a bit of "big city night-life" while waiting for the first bus home at 3.30am. Yesterday we took a short hour bus ride to the nearby city of Bilbao, which blew me away. It's more than just the stunning presence of the Guggenheim Museum, but the whole city is breathtaking. A great riverwalk, a fascinating mix of modern and historic, and all types of public transport all new and "futuristic" as Gero notes: tram, subway, buses, free bikes. Just a great feeling. After that excursion, a beer in the old town of Laredo seemed like a bit of a let down.

Now I have time to finally move in. All my boxes have arrived, my bookshelves are starting to fill up, and after a good wash of the house I think I'll feel a bit of ownership. Tomorrow I will (hopefully) get my Spanish ID number so I can get paid and then I can stop worrying about moving in and can start living. For now, a few more corn flakes before uploading the photos and video from this weekend's adventures!



No comments: