12 April 2008

How to get a free meal in the Basque Country

1. Walk around in the rain until you find a fancy restaurant next to a large convention center.
2. Order expensive, multi-course meal.
3. Wait for bomb threat.

Yes it's true. It's my first day in San Sebastian with my parents who arrived today to visit, and what better way than celebrating their arrival then having a up-close encounter with a threatened terror attack?!

Yes, my Dad and I headed out to at a nice restaurant and enjoyed olives and a cocktail, a great appetizer, and had almost finished our main dish when the waiter came over and quickly said in Spanish: "You have to leave." We grabbed our things and walked out of the restaurant along with the 50 some patrons and the wait staff and then I asked one of the waitresses what was going on. She told me that there was a bomb threat, presumably from the terrorist organization in Basque Country, E.T.A. Apparently there was a big conference next door to our restaurant where some 2,500 people were dining and that gathering was threatened. Since our restaurant was in the vicinity, it also had to be cleared. I asked the waitress how long it would take before we would get back in and she said, "Muchas horas." We waited for a while at a safe distance, but nothing happened. So, in the end, we decided to leave. The best part was we had a good meal and didn't have to pay! We celebrated with a glass of wine before coming back to our hotel after our rough and tough encounter with terror.

Remember, you're either with us or against us...or you exploit terror for a free dinner. Yum.

3 comments:

Elliot said...

Inconsiderate terrorists didn't even make a reservation. The nerve.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the DVD e CD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dvd-e-cd.blogspot.com. A hug.

stian said...

all hail the people's democratic revolution in Nepal!